Ask anyone in the West Midlands where they buy their furniture from and the answer will most likely be ‘Cousins’. A local institution, Cousins has been providing stunning furniture and home accessory brands for 30 hugely successful years, and now the company is getting ready to celebrate reaching such a significant milestone.
On the weekend of August 22nd – 23rd, people from across the West Midlands are invited to join the Cousins ‘family’ as they hold a series of special events and activities to ring in its fourth decade in business. With events taking place at both its Tyseley and Dudley stores, there is plenty of opportunity to get involved in what is set to be a packed weekend of fun and games.
Kick starting the celebrations will be a series of exciting discounts across the store, with 80s-inspired party games also taking place. Why not join in a game of ‘Through the Keyhole’, Pass the Parcel or musical chairs. Or dig out your 80s clobber to impress the judges for a chance to win prizes as part of a fancy dress competition. Face painters and balloon artists will also be on hand to entertain the kids, whilst Smooth FMs Smooth stars will be entertaining guests throughout the weekend. Finally, the Cousins team will be asking customers to dig deep to help support its charity fundraising drive in aid of the Birmingham Children’s Hospital Big Bandage Appeal.
Talking about the plans for the 30th anniversary celebrations, Cousins’ founder, Robert Shotton, said: “30 years – wow! It has gone by in the blink of an eye! We would never have reached this milestone without the amazing support of our customers, which is why we’re putting together a schedule of activity that gives them the opportunity to celebrate with us. All our plans are designed to encourage the whole family to kickback and have some fun with our teams at both of our West Midlands stores. Further plans are yet to be revealed but we can guarantee that anyone who comes along will be leaving with a smile on their face, especially Simply Red fans, but I can’t say anymore at the moment!”
Cousins, helping to create ‘homes’ for 30 years
They say that from little acorns big oak trees grow, and Cousins is certainly proof of this. In 1985 the first Cousins store opened in Tyseley, providing the local community with unrivalled access to some of the biggest and most-loved furniture brands on the market at the time. Since then the company has grown significantly and now it owns in excess of 230,000ft2 of prime retail across three sites, plus over 65,000ft2 of head-office and warehousing facilities. Over 120 people are employed by the company, and its customer base stretches from Devon to the Lake District.
Find out more
You can find out more about Cousins, locate your local store, view the latest online discounts, and much more by visiting www.cousinsfurniture.co.uk.
Cousins: Timeline of Success
- 1921: Original family business was established
- 1984: Cousins was founded by three cousins: Robert, Edward and William
- 1985: First Cousins furniture store opened in Tyseley, Birmingham
- 1996: Cousins opens Dudley store
- 1997: A new head office, warehouse & distribution facilities moved to a 4 acre site in Oldbury
- 2005: The flagship Manchester store opened its doors
- 2006: New North West distribution centre
- 2010: Cousins’ first Stressless Comfort Studio opened in Manchester
- 2011: Appointment of John Shotton (Robert’s eldest son) to Managing Director and Matthew Shotton (Robert’s youngest son) to Retail Director
- 2012 to present: Company strengthens its online presence and boosts sales with new website launch, supported by continuing investment